Type 2 Wildland Fire Fighters
Type 3 Wildland Fire Fighters (Experienced or Non Experienced)
Wildfire Danger Tree Assessors
Danger Tree Fallers
If you are interested in working with the Apex Team the 1st step is to fill out an online application form.
Apex is one of the longest established firefighting contractors in the Nelson area and British Columbia. We take pride in being a reputable company within the diverse sectors of the forest industry. We are also BASE Safe Certified by the BC Forest Safety Council.
We are qualified to train, outfit, and get you ready for another action-packed fire season.
Opportunities to travel BC, meet new people and fly in helicopters all while you are being paid. Firefighting can lead to exciting new opportunities and build on your work experience.
If you are interested in a great summer job as an Apex forest firefighter and potentially other forestry related work then please apply online.
Qualities we are looking for
Apex Forest & Wildfire Services Ltd strive for high standards and high expectations. We are looking for employees 19 years older who want to share these values and work ethic.
You must be someone who is tolerant of others, communicate effectively, and domontrate professionalism at all times. Sometimes you are traveling, camping, and working with the same fire crew for weeks. Therefore people must be adaptable to personality differences and be able to resolve potential conflicts in appropriate manners.
We are looking for firefighters who are accountable, organized, dependable, and strong team players. They need to be in good physical condition.
Apex requires our firefighters to be available to work on short notice as well as be able to commit to going away to work for 3 to 18 days at a time. Sometimes your stay is in BC Wildfire Service fire camps, sometimes hotels or tents, and sometimes you get to drive home every night. And yes sometimes you ride in a helicopter to & from the fire. We all love those days!!!
A usual fire line workday is 12 hours – time and a half after 8 hours. Often you are getting part of your day paid for in travel time. Type 3 Standby days are generally 12 hour days & Type 2 Availability days are generally 8 hr days.
We do not recommend relocating for the “Type 3” Fire Fighting contract.
Inorder to register for the S100 / S185 posted on the Apex Calender we must have recieved your application and followed up with a phone call/ interview.
Hiring Process & Required Certifications for Type 2 & Type 3
Check list for Type 2 Wildland Fire Fighter – Guaranteed work
- Applicants must by 19 years or older.
- The 1st Step is to fill out an Online Application Attach all valid certifications.
- You will recieve an auto response email ackowledging we have recieved your application.
- Please expect the following. Within a week successful applicants will recieve a phone call to set up a personnel interview. Please feel free to call us.
Type 2 Qualifications check list:
Proof of Wildland fire fighting expeirence within the last 5 yrs:
- Minimum of 35 days for a Crew members
- Minimum of 72 days for the Crew Leaders
All Type 2 members are required to have the following:
- 2 References
- Mandatory OFA 1 + TE – Best practice is OFA 3
- Full S100 cert & S185
- WHMIS 2015
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods
- Valid S100 refresher visit www.s100a.com for S100 refresher.
- Valid Drivers license – Copy of your Drivers license & Drivers abstract will be required. This is not mandatory but more than likely this will be necessary.
- Par -Q will be required
Additional mandatory certifications:
- Crew members must have ICS 100 S211 S212 S213
- Crew Leaders must have ICS 100 & 200 S211 S212 S213 S230 S235 S241
If you do not have the above listed certifications, Apex is qualified to instruct.
Fitness Test :
- Successful applicants are required to participate and pass in the WFX Fitness test – set up by the BCWS. (17:45 mins or better)
Increase the chance of employment if you have the following certifications:
- Wildland DTA
- OFA 3
Check list for Type 3 Wildland Fire Fighter – non guaranteed work
- Applicants must be 19 years or older. Some exceptions can be considered.
- The 1st step is to fill out an online application form.
- After we have recieved your application expect the following:
You will recieve an automated email ackowledging we have recieved your application.
Successful applicants will recieve an email containing a PDF attachment for review and a follow up with a phone/Interview. Please feel free to call us at any time.
After the interview we will email you the required gear list for you to review. You will not need any of these items before the Apex training dates.
The full S-100 & S-185 and WHMIS 2015 courses are the minimum training requirements mandatory for all firefighters in BC.
- Apex is fully qualified to instruct these courses
- They are scheduled in April & May. Courses
- Cost for the S100 / S185 = $250.00
- A deposit of $50.00 is required to secure your seat.
- Online registration process – Registration code is required
- Ask us about our training incentive program.
- Please CONTACT US
If you have the S100 / S185 certifications already please send a digital copy
Reminder: The S100 requires a refresher ticket every year. www.S100a.com
Other Certificates. Not mandatory, but will definatley improve your employment opportunities . A 5 person crew must have the following:
- Wildfire Danger Tree Assessor ( 1 crew member is required)
- Power Saw ( 1 crew member is required)
- Accepted First aid OFA 1 + TE ( 2 crew members are required t)
- Pump courses
- Crew Leader courses ( 1 Crew leader is required)
- Experience fire fighter ( 60 hrs ) ( 3 crew membes are required0
Applicants must also be willing to :
- Attend & Pass the annual Fitness test
- Attend the annual mandatory Job Orientation
- Pack personal and overnight gear and send a confirmation email to email@example.com. (During the job Orientation, we review the required gear list).
- Copy of your drivers license – If you don’t have one let us know.
- Drivers abstract: Anyone who has a drivers license of any kind will be required to send us a driver abstract by June 15th
BE READY EARLY AND YOU WILL HAVE A BETTER CHANCE!
Apex is looking for individuals who are self-motivated, physically fit, team orientated and flexible.
We require our employees to be organized, punctual, and good with communications skills.
Job Orientation: We require potential employees to attend a job orientation. This is a great day for us to meet, for you to ask questions and for us go over every aspect of the job & our company. We discuss how we pay, explain standby, fire wages, travel, equipment, marshaling points, safety policies etc.
Fitness test: Firefighting is a physical job which requires a certain level of fitness. Our contract with the BC Wildfire Service requires that our employees must pass the moderate capacity fitness test. You must walk 3.2 km with a 25-pound backpack in 30 minutes or less.
Dates: The job orientation and fintess test happen on the same day. They are scheduled in April and May.
Locations: Nelson B.C.
Type 3 Contract
First aid certification is not a prerequisite however for a 5 person crew the contract requires 2 crew members must have OFA level 1 along with Transportation Endorsement, OFA level 3, or a WorkSafe BC recognized equivalent.
If you have the approved first aid training you will improve your chance of employment plus you will be compensated with a raise for every hour of every day worked.
Type 2 Contract
Each crew member must have OFA 1 plus TE and two crew members must have OFA 3.
Accepted first aid:
1. OFA Level 1 & Transportation endorsement (both are required) or Work Safe equivalent
2. OFA Level 3 or WorkSafe BC equivalent
No other certifications will qualify for the BC Wildfire Service contract.
Please see the link below for WorkSafe BC equivalencies for Ofa 1, Ofa3, and Transportation Endorsement.
Apex believes in compensating every firefighter extra money per hour for additional qualified certifications. Extra training is an asset to our company and therefore we strongly feel each employee deserves to be compensated for it.
Our company is fully qualified to teach many different fire courses and we often do this during standby or (preseason for our returning employees). Of course, this only happens when time permits.
We also have extra training incentives for Apex S100 and S185 fire courses. Please CONTACT US
The contract all fire contractors have is “as, if & when required” so typically contractors generally cannot guarantee anyone a fire fighting job. Apex has had more than 65 employees some fire seasons. On average we employ 35 -45 people. Firefighting is a seasonal job where potential workers come and go and therefore we are always requiring new employees.
Type 2 Fire Fighting Contract is for guarantee work. The Crew is comprised of 2 -4 person crews.
The crew will be on Availabilty ( like Standby ) or on a fire from the dates specified in the contract. Contract dates usually run from the End of May until the end of Aug.
Ryan Flett, a Nelson BC based photographer, cinematographer, and film maker who worked several seasons as a fire fighter for Apex Forest & Wildfire Services Ltd. Ryan captured these amazing shots throughout the 2009 fires season in the Cariboo.